Within the activities related to the training manual for the project “Women.. a New Paradigm”, Bahrain Women Association for Human Development (BWA) organized the seventh training workshop titled “Retain in honor or release in kindness” on 8 August, 2012. The targeted groups were selected specifically for the workshop that aims to: characterize the divorce status in the society; analyze and discuss the divorce concept in the context of the Quranic verses “Retain in honor or release in kindness”; present practical solutions that can reduce the negative effects of divorce on women.
The workshop tackled issues related to:
– The root cause of the harmful effects of divorce on women, such as the Sharia Courts and its biased view against women;
– The cultural power of men guardianship over women, as the law has preserved the husband’s right to divorce and polygamy and the obligation of wife to obey;
– The absence of moral principle governing marital relationship and thus ending relationship is not subjected to the same principle;
– Lack of women’s’ awareness to their rights and laws applied.
During the discussions, solutions were proposed such as amending marriage certificate to ensure rights of both women and men after marriage, and as an important document in reducing the damage, and documenting rights of both partners.
The workshop concluded the following :
– The necessity to limit the divorce process through national competent institutional committees specialized in civil statuslaw with experts and psychologists up-to-date on relevant issues.
– The need for provisions for the family law based on renewed principles of jurisprudence in line with the spirit and meaning of religion and rights.
– Disseminate human rights culture on the basis of honor treatment in all forms, including divorce cases, for couples planning to get married.
– The importance of female cadres serving in the judiciary to create greater understanding of women’s complaints in court.